Monday, April 29, 2013

Soccer Fun and a Wet Rainy Weekend

Big Brother Ollie is playing soccer. This is his first foray into organized sports. He is having a lot of fun. I am trying to not push him too hard and just remember that he is 6 and has never played soccer before.
It is a lot of fun just watching him interact with his peers as that is not something we have been able to see him do before; not with a group so large. I am glad to see that he is generally well liked by everyone and is really enjoying being a part of the team.

In the garden

 The weather has been wet all weekend so  there was not much going on in the garden. Everything is just growing more and teasing us with hints of harvests to come.
The Buttercrunch lettuce is almost ready to start being picked. I do believe that I will pick the first of the heads this week sometime. If not this week then definitely this weekend.
The squash plants are starting to get big with a few true leaves per plant. I hope they do well this year. We have had a problem with some kind of bug eating the plant by about half way through the growing season so this year I will be extra vigilant in trying to keep the bugs out of my squash bed.
The Moon and Stars watermelon are sprouting. Hopefully I will get more than a few good watermelons from this.
The grapevines are growing nicely and I do believe that there are a few grape clusters starting to form on some of the shoots. I am curious to see how these do as I did not do any winter time pruning of these. I will do some spring and summer training of the vines and next early spring I will plan on doing  some major pruning and shaping of the vines.
I have two apple trees that I have to figure out how to prune. I planted them last spring and they are thriving.


And finally there are some flowers blooming in the yard that I have had nothing to do with. Those pretty Irises were planted before we ever moved in and the hydrangeas here are also quite lovely.
I plan on digging up the irises and moving them to a better spot. 

No comments: