Saturday, May 25, 2013

I harvested the majority of the buttercrunch lettuce and the radishes and went to the local farmers market. I was nervous about selling the produce as I do not use any chemicals or insecticides and am worried that people will judge me if they find slugs or spiders or whatever crawling thing in the head of lettuce I sell them. I warned them that there were no pesticides of any kind used and to wash the lettuce REALLY well before serving it. I sold 10 heads of lettuce, a half dozen bunches of radishes, and a couple bunches of mint sprigs. I brought in $33 and had to give 10% to the market. I am quite pleased with my first attempt at selling at the market.
A few things I will try to do better for next time:

  • A Sweet Basil Farm sign so people will know who I am.
  • A stack of recipe cards highlighting the foods I am trying to sell. 
  • Little signs labeling the produce and possibly prices.
  • Fancy produce trays for displaying my wares.
Unfortunately I don't think I will have anything to sell next week but the following week I may have sunflowers, squashes, kale, and maybe potatoes.

No comments: